Gateway to the Ouachitas
Hot Springs Village might be the largest gated community in the United States, but its gates beckon, not rebuff. Every day, greeters at the east and west gates welcome visitors from all over the country to this charming Arkansas hamlet, located just 15 miles north of Hot Springs.
Its placement in the verdant foothills of the Ouachita Mountains, among 11 beautiful lakes, makes HSV one of the most beautiful communities in Arkansas and one with boundless opportunities for recreation. From world-class golf and tennis to fishing and waterskiing to pickleball and mountain biking—there’s something for everyone within its 26,000 acres.
Established in 1970, the Village was created to form a tightknit community of active people who wanted to surround themselves with the beauty of the Natural State. More than 40 years later, the thriving village is exactly that to more than 15,000 residents. Even with 8,500 homes, HSV is still only a third built out, with thousands of acres reserved for green space within the gates.
Vacationers rent or timeshare condos and houses close to the water—some say choosing which scenic lake to stay on is harder than selecting the residence to stay at. And understandably so. The lakes are crystal clear and surrounded by verdant trees and wildlife—bird watching is popular here for that reason. There are fabulous rentals with golf course views too, and a motel and RV park.
More than 20 restaurants serve delicious and diverse fare—from festive Mexican food at El Pardrino and comfort food at Home Plate Café to eateries with a view like Last Chance Lakeside Café and Terrace on the Greens overlooking Lake Balboa and Granada Golf Course respectively.
There’s just so much to do and enjoy in HSV. The performing arts center hosts Broadway performances; three swim beaches beckon the kiddos; a seasonal farmers market offers fresh local food; the dog park lets Fido make new friends; 30 miles of biking and hiking trails provide endless hours of scenery and exercise; the Ouachita Rod & Gun Club entertains sportsmen year-round with fishing, shooting and hunting; and Basecamp offers adventure sports like geocaching, paddling, cycling, kayak floating, rock climbing and more within HSV and throughout the region.
The Best Golf in the Natural State
Golfers of all skill levels will love the course offerings in The Village. There are 171 holes spread across nine different courses between the community gates, and each course has its own signature. They’re diverse—no two holes are a like—yet equally beautiful, and now under Troon Golf Management. Only one is private, so you’re sure to get a tee time whenever you’re ready to hit the links. Here’s a list of the clubs and a peek at the great fun that awaits you at each:
- Balboa—it has one of the most picturesque finishing holes of the nine and is considered the most challenging course in the Village
- Coronado—the only executive-length par 62 golf course in HSV
- Cortez—the par 3, No. 17 is the most recognizable hole on the course
- Desoto—the very first course to open in the Village; renovated in 2014
- Diamaté—this is the only private course in HSV, and is the only one with Zoysia sodded fairways
- Granada—known as the most scenic in the Village; and No. 18 is its signature hole with a meandering waterfall that stretches the length of the fairway
- Isabella—it’s a 27-hole course with three 18-hole rotations, and it was named the “No. 7 best new course in the U.S.” by Golf Digest when it opened in 2000
- Magellan—one of the shorter courses in HSV, one of the top three played each year, and it has the best practice facilities among the nine
- Ponce De Leon—Obtained national attention upon opening in 1991, ranking as of one of the top 100 courses in the nation by Golf World. Golf Digest also ranked it the No. 3 best golf course in Arkansas 2005-06.
More Ways to Have Fun
All Hot Springs Village courses are part of the Ouachita Sports Trail, on which you can play as many as 207 holes of golf, explore pristine waterways and hike ridgeline trails. To learn more or book golf online at great rates visit PlayOST.com.
PLACES TO STAY
Century 21 H.S.V. Realty
Hot Springs Village Rentals
Vacation Rentals, Inc.
Village Villas Vacation Rentals